It will be interesting to see how long it is until Jay Bruce is called up to the Lookouts. Whenever Bruce arrives, area fans are going to be able to watch someone very special.
Bruce is rated by Baseball America the #2 prospect for Cincinnati (behind Homer Bailey), and eighth out of the 50 top prospects rated by Minor League Baseball.
Although there was a chance he would open 2007 with Double-A Chattanooga, the young outfielder is playing with High-A Sarasota.
Doug Gray of the Reds Minor League website had this to say about Bruce:
Jay Bruce is absolutely on fire. Bruce went 2-4 with a double (Friday) and a solo home run (6).
For the season Jay is hitting .345 (.646 alugging) in the Florida State League.
Since 2002 the highest batting average for a guy 20 or younger with 100 at bats in the league was .335 by Joe Mauer, and the highest slugging percentage was .569 by Matt Kemp.
Bruce has 18 extra-base hits in 113 at bats.
* * * * *
The Minor League Baseball web site (MiLB.com) has listed its 2007 top 50 prospect rankings. The poll is base upon 17 members of the scouting community and MiLB.com. Below are their top ten prospects.
1. Delmon Young, OF, Devil Rays (491)
2. Alex Gordon, 3B, Royals (479)
3. Homer Bailey, RHP, Reds (407)
4. Phil Hughes, RHP, Yankees (395)
5. Brandon Wood, SS, Angels (381)
6. Cameron Maybin, OF, Tigers (334)
7. Justin Upton, OF, Diamondbacks (315)
8. Jay Bruce, OF, Reds (236)
9. Troy Tulowitzki, SS, Rockies (229)
10. Yovani Gallardo, RHP, Brewers (220)