When Angela Cornett, of Cleveland, Tn., saved the life of a homeless pet through adoption at the McKamey Animal Center last September, she never imagined her new pet would return the favor. The now hero cat named "Busterfur Jones" used loud insistent meowing to alert his sleeping owner that her house was on fire.
Ms. Cornett said that Thursday morning she was sleeping on the couch when a malfunctioning hair dryer began to fill her house with smoke and then caught fire. Busterfur Jones was the only one in the house, human or animal that sensed the danger. His loud vocalizations woke his owner, giving her time to rush her three children to safety.
Ms. Cornett said she was surprised that even though her dogs were also in the house only Busterfur Jones reacted and helped to save the family.
Unfortunately, sometime during the chaotic moments, during or after the fire, Busterfur Jones was injured by one of the frightened family dogs and had to be taken to Mt. Sun Vet Hospital. Dr. Oscar Wilson of Mt. Sun said Busterfur sustained head trauma, but has an 80-90 percent chance of surviving his injuries.
By Friday, Busterfur was showing signs of a miraculous recovering and amazing the vet. The swelling was gone from his brain and he was eating, meowing, and walking...although a bit sideways for now.
The family was able to bring him home.
Angela Cornett's home was saved by the immediate response from the fire department, but did sustain damage from both the fire and smoke.
Officials of the McKamey Animal Center said Busterfer Jones will be receiving the McKamey Purple Paw Certificate of Meritorious Conduct.