Chattanooga firefighters responded to a house fire at 3710 Chief Van Lane around 3:30 a.m on Friday. Most of the split-level home was engulfed in flames when the first firefighters arrived on the scene. Fire Investigator Andy Waters said no one was home at the time, so the fire had plenty of time to spread throughout the house before it was noticed by a neighbor.
Mr. Waters said the house, along with a car, was a total loss. He estimated the dollar loss at around $110,000. The fire appears to have started in the garage, but what exactly sparked the blaze remains under investigation.