When Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast, New Jersey firefighters were among the victims. Stephanie Steiman, a former “Jersey Girl” who lives in Chattanooga, asked the Chattanooga Fire Department if it would like to help collect socks for the Toms River Township Fire Department in Toms River, New Jersey because she said socks are cheap, easy to collect, non-persishable, and she can ship them in large quantities.
The Chattanooga Fire Department contacted the Toms River Fire Department and they confirmed that they hadbeen contacted by Ms.
Steiman, and that they could use socks. They reportedly lost three of their six fire stations to floodwaters at the height of the storm. They said they are getting donations of food, water and even clothing, but people forget to include socks.
To help with this effort, the Chattanooga Fire Department will have “Box of Sox” collection boxes through Friday, November 30, at the following locations:
1. CFD Fire Administration Building – 910 Wisdom St. (off Amnicola Highway)
2. Station 1 – 218 E. Main Street (downtown)
3. Station 3 – 5 Francis Street (Lookout Valley)
4. Station 17 – 628 Signal Mountain Blvd (foot of Signal Mountain)
5. Station 19 – 5400 Brunswick Lane (Hixson)
6. Station 21 – 7700 E. Brainerd Road (East Brainerd)
Only new socks may be donated. Ms. Steiman will be shipping the socks at her own expense.