Life Care Centers of America bestowed its annual Physicians of the Year awards on Oct. 21. The ceremony took place during the company’s annual Physicians’ Symposium held at its headquarters in Cleveland.
Dr. Peter Johnson, who has served residents at Life Care Center of Attleboro, Mass.
, since its opening in 1992, was named Company-Wide Physician of the Year. Dr. Johnson was praised for his engagement in facility life and mentorship of other area medical directors. His focus on communication has kept fewer residents from having to return to the hospital, and his initiative to acquire a 12-lead EKG for the facility has led to better and quicker assessment of residents with cardiac issues.
Six division award winners were also honored at the symposium for their service to Life Care facilities:
• Dr. Surya Nallari – Life Care Center of Valparaiso, Ind., for the Central Division
• Dr. Dwight Willett – Life Care Center of Crossville and Life Care Center of Morgan County in Wartburg, Tenn., for the Eastern Division
• Dr. Toby Smith – Ka Punawai Ola in Kapolei, Hawaii, for the Mountain States Division
• Dr. Michael Butler – Life Care Center of Port Orchard, Wash., for the Northwest Division
• Dr. Zafar Sharar – Life Care Center of Palm Bay, Fla., for the Southeast Division
• Dr. Candace Reid – Las Fuentes Care Center in Prescott, Ariz., for the Southwest Division
“Physicians play a pivotal role in the care of our residents,” said Beecher Hunter, Life Care president, “and we are proud to honor those who stand out in their commitment and their compassion to ensure the health and well-being of those entrusted to them.”