Surles, Regina Erskine

Saturday, December 29, 2012
Regina Surles
Regina Surles

Minister Regina Erskine Surles died on December 25, 2012.  

She was born in Chattanooga on December 6, 1958 to the late Henry Erskine and Fannie M. Walton Erskine.  

She was preceded in death by her paternal grandparents, Sam Erskine and Berta Cowan Erskine, and maternal grandparents, King and Roxie Walton.

Regina was a 1976 graduate of Brainerd High School and St. Leo University; she received her MBA from Nova Southeastern University.  She was pursuing a Doctorate of Divinity before she became ill.  She was previously employed with TVA and Carta in Chattanooga, and worked with Fort McPherson in Atlanta, Ga and Verizon in Tampa, FL. 

She found her love for Christ at an early age at Mount Canaan Baptist Church.  She later joined Greater Second Missionary Baptist Church where she served as Sunday School teacher and participated in many other auxiliaries.  Regina was currently a member of Turner Chapel AME Church in Marietta Ga where she received her license to preach the Gospel.

Regina is survived by her daughters, Kenya R. Surles, Mount Dora FL., and Jamila (Bruce) Walker, Chattanooga; grandchildren, Mekhi and Brielle Walker; mother, Fannie M. Erskine; sisters, Sherrie E. Dowdy, Linda R. Thompson, Henrietta Erskine, Patricia A. Leatherwood, and Lorraine (Kenneth) Miller, all of Chattanooga; brother, Joe W. Walton, Huntsville, Ala.; nephews, Kevin D. Erskine, Chicago, Reginald D. Leatherwood, Knoxville, Jarrett A. McGhee; nieces, LaWanda S. Davis, LaShanda D. Leatherwood, Malika T. Maples, Kenisha S. and Kendra S. Miller, Chattanooga, Lauren J. Richards, Memphis, and a host of other relatives and friends.

Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 31, at Greater Second Missionary Baptist Church. Interment: Highland Cemetery. The body will lie in state after noon on Sunday and the family will receive friends from 6-7 p.m. on Sunday at John P. Franklin Funeral Home, 1101 Dodds Ave., 622-9995.


Harp, Martha

Martha Harp died on Sunday, April 20, 2014. Arrangements are pending and will be announced by the South Crest Chapel of Lane Funeral Home and Crematory, Rossville. (click for more)

Roberts, Jesse

Jesse Carrol Roberts, 78, of Hixson, Tennessee, died on Sunday, April 20, 2014. Arrangements will be announced by the South Crest Chapel of Lane Funeral Home & Crematory, at the end of historic Missionary Ridge, Rossville.   (click for more)

Stone, Reba Jean Higdon (Benton)

Reba Jean Higdon Stone, 80, of Benton, TN, passed away Friday, April 18, 2014.  She was a member of Old Ocoee Baptist Church. She was preceded in death by her parents, John and Easter Lousie Yates Higdon; husband, Luther Lee Stone; son, David W. Stone; daughter, Linda Marlene Stone Sanford; and granddaughter, Sheena Nicole Stone. She is survived by her children, John ... (click for more)

Densmore, Kenneth Paul (Dalton)

Kenneth Paul Densmore, 69, of Dalton, GA, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, surrounded by the people who loved him.  Kenneth was born July 2, 1944 in Brunswick, GA, to the late Fletcher and Lola Smith Densmore; and was also preceded in death by his brother, Billy Densmore.  He is survived by his wife of 32 years, Jennifer Densmore of the residence; sons and daughters-in-law, ... (click for more)

Man Shot On Cannon Avenue Early Saturday Morning

A man was shot early Saturday morning on Cannon Avenue. At approximately 5:30 a.m., Chattanooga Police responded to 2300 Cannon Ave. for shots fired.  Shortly after receiving the call, officers learned that a victim arrived at a local hospital.  The victim suffered a gunshot wound to the right leg and is undergoing treatment. The injury is not considered to be life-threatening.  ... (click for more)

Child Playing With Cigarette Lighter Starts $25,000 Mobile Home Fire

A child playing with a cigarette lighter started a mobile home fire on Saturday morning. At 9 a.m., the Chattanooga Fire Department responded to a mobile home fire at 6561 Cassie Lane. It took four fire companies about 10 minutes to get the fire under control. The fire was contained to one bedroom. No injuries were reported. Damage to the home is around $25,000. (click for more)