Richards, Virginia Burns

Monday, December 31, 2012
Virginia Richards
Virginia Richards

Virginia Burns Richards, 85, of Chattanooga and longtime resident of Hixson, peacefully died on Saturday, December 29, 2012.

Virginia was born on Feb. 16, in Chattanooga. She attended Chattanooga High School and worked in the retail business until her retirement from Belk's.

She was a loving and kind mother, aunt, sister, and friend to many. She loved to read, travel, play cards, cook, and spend time with her extended family and friends. Her fondest memories were those centered around family and friends.

Virginia and her husband were of the Baptist faith and were very active members of Central Baptist and Red Bank Baptist. While at Central Baptist, Virginia was a faithful children's teacher and loved to cook for those in need. She was an active member of Red Bank Baptist's Sunday School class, Lorene Pilford and a member of the Prime Timer's.

A special thanks goes out to the many nurses, doctors, and staff at Alexian Village Health Services for their love and exceptional care to our Aunt over the past six years.

Virginia is preceded in death by her mother and father, John and Ruth Burns, her husband, William (Bill) Richards, their loving daughter, Joy Richards Tharpe, four brothers and sisters, Jack Burns, John Burns, Martha Burns Carrick, and Jessie Burns Bingham.

Survivors include nephews, Tim Burns (Carol), Mike Bingham (Cindy), Jeff Burns (Felicia), and nieces, Karen Burns, Kelly Carrick, Debbie (Ray) Kyle.

Funeral services will be held at noon the chapel of Chattanooga Funeral Home North Chapel, on Wednesday, Jan. 2, followed by a private burial at Chattanooga Memorial Park Cemetery.

The family will receive friends one hour prior to the funeral.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Alexian Village or your favorite charity.

Arrangements are by Chattanooga Funeral Home Crematory and Florist, North Chapel, 5401 Hwy. 153, Hixson, Tn., 37343. 

Please share your thoughts and memories at www.chattanooganorthchapel.com.


Harp, Martha

Martha Harp died on Sunday, April 20, 2014. Arrangements are pending and will be announced by the South Crest Chapel of Lane Funeral Home and Crematory, Rossville. (click for more)

Roberts, Jesse

Jesse Carrol Roberts, 78, of Hixson, Tennessee, died on Sunday, April 20, 2014. Arrangements will be announced by the South Crest Chapel of Lane Funeral Home & Crematory, at the end of historic Missionary Ridge, Rossville.   (click for more)

Stone, Reba Jean Higdon (Benton)

Reba Jean Higdon Stone, 80, of Benton, TN, passed away Friday, April 18, 2014.  She was a member of Old Ocoee Baptist Church. She was preceded in death by her parents, John and Easter Lousie Yates Higdon; husband, Luther Lee Stone; son, David W. Stone; daughter, Linda Marlene Stone Sanford; and granddaughter, Sheena Nicole Stone. She is survived by her children, John ... (click for more)

Densmore, Kenneth Paul (Dalton)

Kenneth Paul Densmore, 69, of Dalton, GA, died Thursday, April 17, 2014, surrounded by the people who loved him.  Kenneth was born July 2, 1944 in Brunswick, GA, to the late Fletcher and Lola Smith Densmore; and was also preceded in death by his brother, Billy Densmore.  He is survived by his wife of 32 years, Jennifer Densmore of the residence; sons and daughters-in-law, ... (click for more)

Man Shot On Cannon Avenue Early Saturday Morning

A man was shot early Saturday morning on Cannon Avenue. At approximately 5:30 a.m., Chattanooga Police responded to 2300 Cannon Ave. for shots fired.  Shortly after receiving the call, officers learned that a victim arrived at a local hospital.  The victim suffered a gunshot wound to the right leg and is undergoing treatment. The injury is not considered to be life-threatening.  ... (click for more)

Child Playing With Cigarette Lighter Starts $25,000 Mobile Home Fire

A child playing with a cigarette lighter started a mobile home fire on Saturday morning. At 9 a.m., the Chattanooga Fire Department responded to a mobile home fire at 6561 Cassie Lane. It took four fire companies about 10 minutes to get the fire under control. The fire was contained to one bedroom. No injuries were reported. Damage to the home is around $25,000. (click for more)