Dallas Bay Volunteer Fire Department responded to a kitchen fire on Friday.
A juvenile called 911 reporting the fire at 6918 Love Lane (off of Sterling Park and Boy Scout Road). Firefighters arrived on the scene reporting smoke coming from the front of the house.
Firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the fire in the kitchen. The 13-year-old told fire officials he was cooking rice when the water boiled over and caught the rice bag on fire. That spread to other items on the counter and moved up the kitchen cabinets.
No injuries were reported, but Hamilton County EMS examined the teen for any possible injuries. The owner of the home, Wade Lingerfelt, was not home at the time of the fire. Damages are listed at $15,000.