Tennessee American Water announced that applications are now being accepted for the company’s 2013 Environmental Grant Program awards. The grant awards will be available in Tennessee American Water service areas in Tennessee and North Georgia.
Tennessee American Water’s Environmental Grant Program is aimed at supporting local organizations with environmentally focused initiatives. For the past few years, the grant program has offered funds for innovative, community-based environmental projects that improve, restore or protect the watersheds, surface water and/or groundwater supplies through partnerships with local organizations.
“Tennessee American Water is committed to ensuring water quality through testing and treatment, as well as through consumer education and community source protection programs,” said Kevin Rogers, Operations Manager. “We are all environmental stewards in protecting our water supplies, and this program is one way we help our community play an active role.”
In 2012, Tennessee American Water awarded a total of six projects throughout its service area grant money totaling more than $8,500. Organizations that received environmental grants in 2012 included Howard School of Academics and Technology, Lookout Mountain Conservancy, Tennessee Student Environmental Alliance (TenneSEA), Urban Century Institute, Tennessee Aquarium, and Chattanooga School for the Arts & Sciences.
To qualify, proposed projects must:
· Address a source water or watershed protection need in the community
· Be completed between May 1, 2013 and November 29, 2013
· Be a new or innovative program for the community, or serve as a significant expansion to an existing program
· Be carried out by a formal or informal partnership between two or more organizations
· Provide evidence of sustainability (continued existence after the American Water grant monies are utilized)
· Be located within a Tennessee American Water service area
For more information, please contact Laura Vinson, External Affairs/Major Accounts Specialist, at email@example.com or 771-4747. Applications must be postmarked by March 11, and recipients will be notified by April 12.