The Erlanger Health System board on Thursday night approved transferring five acres of the old Lincoln Park for a community park.
As part of the deal, Erlanger will receive from the city two unimproved parcels in the Southside community, consisting of approximately 9.15 acres.
The board also approved a resolution all future hires at Erlanger, beginning Jan. 1, be non-tobacco users.
Gregg Gentry, chief administrative officer, said, “As the leading healthcare provider in this community and to promote the health, well-being and overall betterment of our workforce, we want to ensure that all employees hired by Erlanger on or after Jan. 1, are non-tobacco users,”
Erlanger President and CEO Kevin M. Spiegel told trustees, “It is time for Erlanger to step forward in support of a smoke-free campus, and no longer hire individuals who use tobacco.”
Mr. Spiegel also said, starting on Great American Smokeout Day, Nov. 21, Erlanger employees and vendors doing business with the health system will no longer be permitted to smoke within three blocks of an Erlanger campus.
Chief Administrative Officer Gregg Gentry sought board authorization for changes to Erlanger’s paid annual lLeave (PAL), EIB and leave of absence provisions.
Key PAL provisions:
1. PAL changed to paid time off (PTO) bank; employees can continue PTO buy-back up to 150 hours per calendar year at current rate of 90%, but no longer have option of declaring PTO buy back at 100% rate
2. PTO balance will continue to be paid out at 100% upon separation from EHS
3. PTO maximum balance reduced from 500 to 400 hours
4. Employees have until March 31, 2014 to reduce balance below the new maximum
Key Extended Illness Bank (EIB) provisions:
- EIB changed to Short-Term Disability Bank (STD)
- STD will continue to accrue at current rates
- Employees at least age 55, with a minimum of 10 pension years on/before Jan. 4, 2014 will be paid 20% instead of 50% of balance upon retirement
- Use of STD bank will be reviewed by a panel of EHS providers for compliance with medical necessity
- Employees must use five instead of four PTO days prior to utilization of STD bank
- STD maximum balance reduced from 735 hours to 400 hours
- Balances in excess of 400 hours will not be reduced, but additional STD hours will not accrue until balance drops below maximum
Key Leave of Absence provision:
Maximum time in leave of absence reduced from 12 months to 4 months.