Chattanooga Couple Sues Compounding Firm Over Death Of 5-Year-Old Son, Reese Martin

Monday, October 7, 2013
Reese Martin
Reese Martin

A Chattanooga couple has sued a New England compounding firm over the death of their five-year-old son, Reese Martin.

Barry and Reginnia Martin filed the suit in Federal Court in Knoxville against Ameridose, LLC, Medical Sales Management, Medical Sales Management SW, GDC Properties Management, Barry Cadden, Gregory Conigliaro, Lisa Conigliaro Cadden, Douglas Conigliaro, Carla Conigliaro and Glenn Chin.

The suit says beginning in July 2012, Reese Martin received electrolyte and methocarbamol products made by New England Compounding Pharmacy (NECP). Ameridose owns NECP and the individual defendants are involved in its management.  

The complaint says the child died as a result - in whole or in part - from the effects of the compound administered while he was a patient at Children's Hospital at Erlanger.

It says on Sept. 26, 2012, "in the wake of dozens of cases of fungal meningitis associated with NECC’s products, state agents raided NECC’s lab on Waverly Street in Framingham, Massachusetts. NECC’s few remaining employees were scrubbing the compounding areas with bleach. Despite this last-ditch effort, the “clean” rooms were filthy. A leaky boiler stood in a pool of stagnant, dirty water. The autoclaves used to sterilize the product were discolored, tarnished, and contained visible moisture. The air intake came from vents located about 100 feet from a mattress recycling facility that released copious amounts of dust and other contaminants into the air. The air vents in the “clean” rooms were covered with dirt and white fuzz. The metal shelf in the “clean” room used to prepare methylprednisolone acetate, as well as other products, was covered in a reddish-brown, cloudy substance.

"Investigators determined that NECC’s internal records showed dozens of instances of bacterial and fungal contamination within the NECC facility over at least the past nine months. NECC ignored these test results. NECC never even attempted to get rid of these microbial contaminants.
48. Eighty-three out of three hundred twenty-one observed vials from one of three recalled lots of MPA contained a greenish-black substance visible to the human eye. Seventeen other vials contained a white filamentous material. All fifty out of fifty vials tested confirmed the presence of live microbes (whether fungal or bacterial). The CDC and FDA later confirmed the presence of fungus in unopened vials of NECC’s methylprednisolone acetate. This is the same fungus that the CDC confirmed was present in at least forty fungal meningitis cases. The recall was then expanded. On October 6, 2012, New England Compounding Pharmacy, Inc. d/b/a New England Compounding Center (NECC) announced a recall of all products currently in circulation that were compounded at and distributed from its facility in Framingham, Massachusetts."

The couple said they did not learn until Oct. 6, 2012, "that their son’s death may be linked to the products sold by NECC."

The suit was filed by attorney Christopher Gilreath.




Erlanger Holds Health Fair Day Oct. 8

More than 20 Erlanger departments and healthcare specialists will be on hand during the annual “Erlanger Health Fair Day” at the Chattanooga Market on Sunday, Oct. 8.  In addition to obtaining information and counseling on a variety of healthcare issues, market-goers will also be able to make onsite appointments with physicians located throughout the Tri-State region.   ... (click for more)

Free Smoking Cessation Courses Beginning In October And November At CHI Memorial

CHI Memorial’s Rees Skillern Cancer Institute offers a free seven-week Freedom From Smoking program.   "The program helps participants learn how to beat tobacco addiction, lifestyle changes that make quitting easier, stress management, how to avoid weight gain and how to stay smoke-free for good," officials said.  "Freedom From Smoking is an American Lung Association ... (click for more)

Female CARTA Driver Has Unknown Liquid Thrown In Her Face; 4 Fellow Employees Also Taken To Hospital; 15 Fire Companies Respond

A female CARTA bus driver had an "unknown liquid" thrown in her face at the rear of the CARTA headquarters by Sholar Avenue on Tuesday morning, fire officials said. It is near Wilcox Boulevard and Holtzclaw Avenue. Four bystanders were also taken to the hospital.  Police said all those affected were CARTA employees, who may have gotten liquid on them while assisting the ... (click for more)

Opportunity Zone Begins Effort To Transform 12 Low-Performing County Schools

The Hamilton County Department of Education announced the new Opportunity Zone team that officials said "will ensure every student is post-secondary ready." The schools in this zone are: Brainerd High, The Howard School, East Lake Middle Academy, Dalewood Middle, Orchard Knob Middle, Barger Academy of Fine Arts, Calvin Donaldson Environmental Science Academy, Clifton Hills ... (click for more)

Titans Hide In The Locker Room

This Sunday, as has been widely reported, the Tennessee Titans and the Seattle Seahawks both chose to remain in their respective locker rooms during the playing of the National Anthem at Nissan Stadium.  Besides the fact that the NFL game operations manual has a rule regarding player behavior during the playing of the National Anthem which requires them to stand at attention ... (click for more)

Roy Exum - Why Al Took A Stand

“Help me, sir!” 18-year-old Jesse Dietrich cried to his lieutenant. “Please sir, I need help …” the Private First Class begged as blood streamed from where the kid had been shot in the chest during an intense Taliban ambush. The platoon leader had just dragged the 18-year-old by his backpack down a dark alley in withering gunfire, all the while returning fire over the fallen soldier ... (click for more)