A barrel burning with trash got out of hand Tuesday afternoon, causing significant damage on Mowbray Mountain.
At 12:30 pm, a neighbor called 911 reporting a brush fire at 1413 Hotwater Road on Mowbray Mountain.The Mowbray Volunteer Fire Department responded and reported a brush fire, as well as a two-car garage and two exterior buildings that were on fire. Due to the high winds, firefighters had to work quickly to contain the fire and keep it from spreading to the two adjacent homes.
Kenneth and Michelle Smith, who live at 1413 Hotwater Road, told fire officials they had been burning trash in a 55-gallon barrel Tuesday morning.
The next-door neighbors, Michael and Theresa Grant, who live at 1411 Hotwater Road, had damages to their two-car garage. Several ATVs were damaged along with personal items. Damages are undetermined at this time.
The Smiths had damage to their two exterior buildings containing some welding equipment. Damages are undetermined at this time.
John Schultz of Air Pollution Control said, "The Smiths will be cited for illegal material burning, no burning permit from Air Pollution Control or Tennessee Forestry, and leaving the fire unattended. Penalties can go up to $25,000 per violation."
No injuries were reported. Hamilton County Sheriff's Office Arson Division responded.
Anyone with additional information should contact the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office.