Chattanooga firefighters responded to a fire Tuesday night at Tidmore’s Lawn Mower Repair at the 2300 block of Dodds Avenue. An off-duty firefighter passing by spotted the fire and called 911 Communications at 9:45 p.m.
Battalion Chief Chris Willmore said smoke was showing when the first firefighters arrived. A guard dog caused some concern for the firefighters, and officers with McKamey Animal Center were called in, but Chief Willmore said they were still able to force entry into the building and extinguish the fire in the workshop. No one was injured.
The cause of the fire appears to be accidental. Chief Willmore said the fire was most likely caused by a kerosene heater being placed too close to combustibles in the workshop. An estimate on the loss was not available. Chattanooga police and the EPB also assisted on the call.