The Chattanooga Police Department would like everyone to have a safe holiday season. Here are some shopping safety tips:
· Stay aware of your surroundings.
· Do NOT leave articles of value in your vehicles and make sure the doors are locked.
· Always try to park in well-lit areas at a familiar location to help remember where you are parked.
· Shop with a partner.
· Do not carry large amounts of cash on your person and secure you purses and wallets.
· Avoid overloading yourself with packages and try to finish your shopping during the day.
· Use well-lit, well-populated ATM's. Do NOT use an ATM that has been tampered with.
· Notify the credit card issuer immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen, or misused.
· Beware of strangers approaching you for any reason. At this time of year, con-artists may try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking your money or belongings.
· If you go shopping with children, make sure all children with you know your cell phone number. Make a plan with children in case you get separated. Have a central meeting place, and review with your children who they can turn to for help if they find themselves alone. Go over the dangers of strangers with them so they know who not to talk to or follow.
Officials said, "We hope that you have a happy and safe holiday season."