Work at ADM Milling at 1120 King Street was disrupted shortly before 8 a.m. on Friday when an alarm activated, indicating there was a gas leak. Workers at the plant got everyone out of the building and called 911.
The Chattanooga Fire Department responded with several fire companies, including the haz-mat team. Tactical Services Chief Danny Hague said workers were changing lines to chlorine tanks when a sensor designed to detect chlorine activated and set off an audible alarm.
Chief Hague said it appears that some residual chlorine in one of the lines leaked out and it was enough to set off the alarm. Chief Hague said the amount leaked was very small and presented no serious threat of injury to the workers or the public.
Though there was no real danger, Chief Hague said the workers did the right thing by evacuating the building and calling 911 to ensure everyone’s safety.