Firefighters extinguished a Christmas Eve kitchen fire in Washington Hills.
The Chattanooga Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 6300 Hansley Dr. Firefighters arrived on the scene and found light smoke coming from the residence.
Firefighters from Quint 6 made entry and used a fire extinguisher to put the fire out in the kitchen.
It appears the fire started on the stove and quickly spread to the cabinets in the kitchen. The house sustained smoke and heat damage and losses are estimated at $5,000.
One occupant was at home at the time of the fire, but made it out of the structure safely. The residents will be staying with relatives until repairs can be made.
Chattanooga firefighters were assisted on the scene by the Chattanooga Police Department, Hamilton County EMS and EPB.