Public Works Department Offers Guidelines For Collecting Loose Leaves
Wednesday, December 04, 2013
With the threat of heavy rainfall possible through the weekend, there is an increased possibility for widespread flooding. While the City of Chattanooga’s Department of Public Works is collecting loose leaves residents should be reminded of a few guidelines to avoid creating driving hazards or increased flooding and to assist with efficient collection.
- Avoid raking leaves into ditches. This can cause flooding problems and impact water quality.
- Avoid raking leaves into the street. This can cause drainage problems and lead to hazardous driving conditions when leaves become wet.
- Separate loose leaves from other items. Loose leaves are collected, processed, and disposed of differently.
- Move loose leaves as close to the curb edge as possible, but avoid placing them in the street or co-mingling materials.
- Consider backyard composting or recycling leaves by mowing and mulching them back onto your lawn.