Fire Which Left Family Homeless Is Ruled Accidental

Sunday, February 10, 2013

The cause of Sunday’s early morning fire at 1712 Rubio Street has been ruled accidental. Captain Carlos Hampton with Engine 4 said the fire was most likely started by food being left unattended on the stove. Fortunately, no one was injured.

It was a close call for a woman and her three children early Sunday morning when fire raced through their home.

The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm shortly after 4 a.m. and responded with several fire companies.

Captain Carlos Hampton with Engine 4 said Destiny Shepherd woke to the smell of smoke, so she woke up her boyfriend and cousin.

As she was trying to get everyone out of the house, Ms Shepherd noticed that neither her boyfriend or cousin grabbed any of her three children. So, she ran back into the house, while the two men stood outside and watched. Captain Hampton said Ms. Shepherd grabbed her three children, everyone's wallets, a diaper bag and a bottle for the baby. Fortunately, she did all of this and was lucky enough not to be injured or killed.

As additional fire companies began to arrive, Captain Hampton said flames were shooting out the windows on at least two sides of the house. The first firefighters who attempted to enter the structure were forced back by the intense heat. Captain Hampton believes they experienced a "flashover." After getting the fire suppressed from the outside, the firefighters were able to enter the house, getting the fire under control in 30 to 45 minutes.

The loss was estimated at around $30,000. Volunteers with the American Red Cross were called to the scene to provide assistance to the family, including help with a temporary place to stay, and help with food, clothing, and medicine if needed. 

Chattanooga police, Hamilton County EMS and EPB also provided valuable assistance on the scene.

Bruce Garner, fire department spokesman, said, "A flashover is the near-simultaneous ignition of most of the directly exposed combustible material in an enclosed area. The room bursts into flames and often has the effect of looking like an explosion. Firefighters die in flashovers every year."



Copies Of Remaining Chattanooga Photo Books Available At Zarzour's Restaurant; By Mail

Remaining copies of the Chattanooga Photo books are available at Zarzours Restaurant on Rossville Avenue off Main Street. It is near Fire Hall #1. They include the Remarkable Stokes Collection, Railroads In and Around Chattanooga, and Paul Hiener's Historic Chattanooga.  All were published by Chattanoogan.com.  and printed by College Press at Collegedale. The ... (click for more)

Police Blotter: Man Digs Up Old Gun In His Yard On Wheeler Avenue

A Wheeler Avenue resident told police that he was doing yard work and discovered a handgun buried in his yard. He said the firearm did not belong to him. Police could determine that the firearm was a firestorm 1911 government 45 AUTO but were unable to read the serial number do to the rusty condition of the gun. Police submitted it to the Chattanooga Property Division for safe keeping. ... (click for more)

All I Want For Christmas Are Digitized Newspapers For 2018 - And Response

With recent news of the Public Library investing in their own StoryCorps-ish effort with the Chattanooga Memory Project, it got me thinking about digitizing local newspapers again.   It's been two and a half years since the Chattanooga Public Library committed to sending out a request for proposals to digitize the local newspapers they have on microfilm. Back in ... (click for more)

Roy Exum: The Last You’d Suspect

Back when Bill Lenz launched Christ the Rock Community Church, the idea was to spread the gospel in Menasha, Wisc. but Bill and his brother Bob soon found they were dealing with people in trauma situations – drug and alcohol addiction, poverty, the homeless, and suicide prevention. As the church grew, they started an offshoot ministry called “Solid Rock” that deals with suicide ... (click for more)

Vols' Pruitt Is A "Ball Coach" Who Won't Forget HIs Roots

KNOXVILLE -- He is still the guy that taught them how to play kickball and officiated their dodgeball games. He's still the guy that wore a Fort Payne Wildcats football T-shirt to class every day and carried them over his shoulder across the playground if they got hurt. Before he rose to prominence as a college football coach, Jeremy Pruitt was a PE teacher at Wills Valley ... (click for more)

UTC Women Fall To Virginia Tech 64-44

The Chattanooga Lady Mocs started off the current basketball season with three straight losses, including a 60-30 whipping at Green Bay on November 11. Things had gotten better since that time as the Lady Mocs came into Sunday afternoon’s home game with Virginia Tech on a six-game winning streak, but the train jumped off the track, the local girls had one of their poorest performances ... (click for more)