Fire Which Left Family Homeless Is Ruled Accidental

Sunday, February 10, 2013

The cause of Sunday’s early morning fire at 1712 Rubio Street has been ruled accidental. Captain Carlos Hampton with Engine 4 said the fire was most likely started by food being left unattended on the stove. Fortunately, no one was injured.

It was a close call for a woman and her three children early Sunday morning when fire raced through their home.

The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm shortly after 4 a.m. and responded with several fire companies.

Captain Carlos Hampton with Engine 4 said Destiny Shepherd woke to the smell of smoke, so she woke up her boyfriend and cousin.

As she was trying to get everyone out of the house, Ms Shepherd noticed that neither her boyfriend or cousin grabbed any of her three children. So, she ran back into the house, while the two men stood outside and watched. Captain Hampton said Ms. Shepherd grabbed her three children, everyone's wallets, a diaper bag and a bottle for the baby. Fortunately, she did all of this and was lucky enough not to be injured or killed.

As additional fire companies began to arrive, Captain Hampton said flames were shooting out the windows on at least two sides of the house. The first firefighters who attempted to enter the structure were forced back by the intense heat. Captain Hampton believes they experienced a "flashover." After getting the fire suppressed from the outside, the firefighters were able to enter the house, getting the fire under control in 30 to 45 minutes.

The loss was estimated at around $30,000. Volunteers with the American Red Cross were called to the scene to provide assistance to the family, including help with a temporary place to stay, and help with food, clothing, and medicine if needed. 

Chattanooga police, Hamilton County EMS and EPB also provided valuable assistance on the scene.

Bruce Garner, fire department spokesman, said, "A flashover is the near-simultaneous ignition of most of the directly exposed combustible material in an enclosed area. The room bursts into flames and often has the effect of looking like an explosion. Firefighters die in flashovers every year."


Embrace America - And Response

Okay, Hollywierd we get it. The world of entertainment and cinema arts do not support President Trump. But for all their derisive and divisive speech, truth remains. People who support conservative values do not hate children, we do not hate immigrants, we do not hate other races and ethnicities although that is all you trumpet at every opportunity.  What we do support ... (click for more)

Roy Exum: The Eye Of The Storm

There is a very serious building in Norman, Okla., that houses the nation’s Storm Prediction Center for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the National Weather Service. According to a Four-Day Forecast released on Sunday, north Alabama and the Chattanooga area are in the middle of the bulls eye for the United States. Yes, it was about 40 degrees and sunny ... (click for more)

Region 3-3A Girls Tourney Resumes Tonight At Bradley

The Region 3-3A girls’ basketball tournament resumes Monday night at Bradley Central High School in Cleveland, and the host Bearettes are once again in the spotlight. Bradley Central, ranked No. 1 by coacht.com, go into a semifinal contest against Stone Memorial at 6 p.m. in Jim Smiddy Arena as a heavy favorite to extend their season winning streak to 31 games. Bradley routed ... (click for more)

Chattanooga Softball Falls To Saint Louis 5-2 In Frost Classic

 The Chattanooga Mocs softball team fell to Saint Louis, 5-2, on the final day of the annual Frost Classic hosted by UTC at Frost Stadium. The loss drops the Mocs to 5-9 on the season. Chattanooga will head south for the next three weekends as they round out the non-conference tournament slate. The first runs of the game came in the top of the second when SLU scored ... (click for more)