SlideShare announced Education Art and Culture’s presentation to City Council candidates is being talked about on LinkedIn more than anything else on SlideShare right now—awarding it a spot on the “Hot on LinkedIn” section, Administrator Missy Crutchfield said.
She said, "Chattanooga, Tennessee joins the ranks of progressive cities across the United States in having a Department of Education, Arts & Culture. In Charleston, South Carolina they have an 'Office of Cultural Affairs' and an 'Office of Children, Youth, and Families.
' In New Orleans, Louisiana, they have an 'Office of Cultural Economy.' In Denver, Colorado they have a 'Department of Arts and Venues' and an 'Office of Children’s Affairs.'
"In Chattanooga, Tennessee the City Department of Education, Arts & Culture serves over 300,000 clients in our community annually through over 2,800 unique programs and events.
"The Department manages Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium, Tivoli Theatre, North River Civic Center, Eastgate Senior Activity Center, Heritage House Arts & Civic Center, EAC Pottery Studio at John A. Patten Recreation Center, Chattanooga SE Tennessee Film Commission, and education, arts, and culture programs in schools and community centers.
"Over $20 million in local economic impact from the Chattanooga SE Tennessee Film Commission—a division of EAC, recruiting major film, television, music videos, and commercials—more than pays the entire tab for the EAC budget in the last eight years.
"National recognition through EAC has put Chattanooga, Tennessee on the map for:
- NACOL Virtual Schools Symposium (Phoenix, Arizona) Connecting the Dots with Technology initiative addressing digital equity
- Aging in Place initiative (Washington, D.C.) “Building Partnerships: Creating a Liveable Chattanooga for All Ages”
- National Education Association (Washington, D.C.) BULLY film screening and community-wide forum
- Arts Education Partnership (Washington, D.C.) National Forum Plenary Session: What’s Going On? Addressing Social Issues Like Bullying Through Arts & Literacy
- Gandhi Worldwide Education Institute Gandhi Visits Chattanooga 2012 and first ever statewide “Season for Nonviolence: East Meets West” 2013
"Other significant achievements for the Department this year include a grant sponsored by the Tennessee Film, Entertainment, and Music Commission and Nasvhille Film Festival to launch an annual Gig City Film Festival with a first-year event at EAC’s Heritage House Arts & Civic Center.
"And after a nearly four-year campaign to complete the renovations and ADA compliance of the Community Theatre inside Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium, a grand re-opening will be celebrated beginning Feb. 28."
To view the PowerPoint Presentation and to learn more about the city of Chattanooga Department of Education, Arts & Culture: