A home was damaged by fire early Wednesday morning in Lakesite.
A 911 call was made at 2:30 a.m. reporting a house fire at 1266 Lakesite Dr. (Dallas Bay Area). The Dallas Bay Volunteer Fire Department responded and reported heavy smoke and fire showing from a window in the rear of the house. Firefighters quickly entered the home and found heavy fire in the bathroom and hallway. They extinguished the fire within minutes and alleviated additional damage to the rest of the home.
The renters, the Rebel family, reported to fire officials that the glow of the fire woke them and they quickly evacuated the house.
As they were exiting the house, they noticed the portable electrical heater and bathroom were on fire.
No injuries were reported, but Hamilton County EMS was on the scene for any potential injuries. Chief Marcus Fritts, Dallas Bay VFD, reported the cause of the fire was an electrical short to the portable heater.
Damages are listed at $15,000 and the Rebel family will be staying with relatives.