Fire Confined To 1 Room At Best Western On Lee Highway

Monday, February 18, 2013

A fire broke out at the Best Western hotel on Lee Highway on Monday night, but it was confined to one unoccupied room.

Chattanooga firefighters responded to 7641 Lee Highway at 8:57 p.m. A total of six companies were dispatched.

Battalion Chief Steve Swanson advised the first arriving companies saw light smoke coming from a single room on the second floor and noticed the window was blackened by smoke. Firefighters forced entry and initiated an interior fire attack, while additional fire companies started evacuating the surrounding rooms.

A quick search of the room involved in the fire indicated no one was in the room and hotel management confirmed there was no guest registered in the room. The fire was quickly extinguished and all the residents were accounted for with no injuries. Several of the occupants from the hotel were relocated to other rooms at the hotel.

The cause of the fire had been ruled accidental. Lt. Andrew Waters with the Fire Investigation Division said the fire was most likely started by an electrical malfunction in the room where the fire was located.

The was estimated at around $10,000. No injuries were reported.

Hamilton County EMS and the Chattanooga Police Department provided assistance.


Reward Offered For Information On Car Burglaries And Vandalism In Cleveland

A $500 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest of suspect(s) involved in car burglaries and/or vandalism in Cleveland occurring this past weekend in and around the Greenway and its parking areas, Stuart School and Perry’s Petals. Authorities are processing forensic evidence. The public is urged to contact Detective Matt Jenkins, Criminal Investigations ... (click for more)

Ooltewah Home Destroyed By Fire Early Monday Morning

A home in the Ooltewah area was destroyed by fire early Monday morning. At 3:18 a.m.., a 911 call was made reporting a house fire at 9215 Quail Mountain Drive. The Tri-Community Volunteer Fire Department responded and arrived within minutes reporting fire showing through the roof and ¾ of the house fully involved.Firefighters quickly went into a “defensive attack” to control ... (click for more)

Senator Bob Corker: An Open Letter To Tennesseans

We are incredibly fortunate to live in a state in which companies worldwide are clamoring to establish a presence. Many attribute it to our pro-business culture, well-prepared workforce, low tax environment, right-to-work policies, and engaged citizenry.  That is why the announcement by Volkswagen to build its midsize sports utility vehicle and establish the South’s ... (click for more)

Roy Exum: ‘Our’ American Minute

William J. Federer is one of the leading historians in the United States and every morning I am among thousands of people who get an entertaining email from him called the “American Minute.” I adore it because Bill takes a significant event in American history that happened long ago – but he remembers on the very anniversary of when it occurred. A great example is that last Thursday ... (click for more)

Prep Football Practice Starts Today

Coaches barking instructions, players blocking and tackling, quarterbacks and receivers working on timing routes and error-free handoffs to fleet-footed running backs.   In the greater Chattanooga area and throughout the state it can mean just one thing. It’s time for Prep Football 2014.   Today is the first official day ... (click for more)

NPSL National Championship To Be Played At Red Bulls Arena

The NPSL announced on Monday that the national championship match between Chattanooga FC and the Red Bulls U23 will be played on Saturday at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey.  The match will be played following an MLS match between New York Red Bulls and the New England Revolution.   Local fans took to social media to appeal for the game to be played in Chattanooga. ... (click for more)