The Dallas Bay Volunteer Fire Department was kept busy Tuesday morning, with two separate fires.
Unattended cooking in the kitchen caused fire damage to a house in the Dallas Bay area. A 911 call was received at 8:45 a.m. reporting a kitchen fire at 705 Charlee Lane. The Dallas Bay Volunteer Fire Department responded and arrived and reported heavy smoke coming from the house. Firefighters quickly gained access into the home and found heavy smoke and fire in the kitchen. Extinguishing the fire took just a few minutes and firefighters were able to contain the fire damage to the kitchen area.
According to fire officials, the homeowner, Donna Bookout, explained her son’s roommate was cooking and left the stove unattended for a few minutes. The roommate returned to find the stove and cabinets were on fire. He tried to extinguish the fire but was unsuccessful. While doing so, he suffered second-degree burns to his hands. He was transported to Erlanger Medical Center by Hamilton County EMS for his burns.
Damages are listed at $10,000.
The Dallas Bay Volunteer Fire Department received another fire alarm within 40 minutes at at 9:06 a.m. The homeowner, Betty Lawson, called 911 reporting a garage fire at 8844 East Ridge Trail. The Dallas Bay Volunteer Fire Department responded and repororted heavy smoke and fire pouring from the garage. Firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the garage fire and keep it from spreading throughout the house.
The Red Bank Fire Department was requested for stand-by emergency calls in the Dallas Bay area.
No injuries were reported, but Hamilton County EMS was on the scene for any potential injuries to the firefighters on the scene.
According to Chief Marcus Fritts, Dallas Bay VFD, the fire was started by the owner’s dog who knocked over a heat lamp onto a bed of wood shavings in the dog house. The heat lamp was used to warm the dog house in the garage. Damages are listed at $8,000.