The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's tennis team posted its fourth-straight shutout with a 7-0 win over Austin Peay at the Hixson Racquet Club tonight. UTC improves to 5-0 for the first time in over 10 years and Jeff Clark earned his 100th win as head coach of the Lady Mocs.
"Chattanooga has such a tremendous tennis community and it is an amazing place to coach," stated Clark. "Getting to 100 wins is great, but it is really about the student-athletes. They are the ones who win the matches and we have had a lot of good ones over the years. We have a bunch of good ones this year and hopefully we can keep it going."
UTC is almost perfect through five matches, having only lost one point in the season-opening 6-1 win over Kennesaw State. Since then, Chattanooga has blanked in-state rivals Belmont, Middle Tennessee, Lipscomb and Austin Peay.
UTC won all three doubles matches, including 8-0 shutouts at No. 2 and No. 3. Senior Jenna Nurik (Roswell, Ga.) and sophomoreKaylene Chadwell (Franklin, Tenn.) improved to 4-1 with an 8-0 win over Alison Carre and Vanessa Tavares at No. 2. FreshmenKelsey Coots (Huntsville, Ala.) and Kayla Jones (Memphis, Tenn.) are also 4-1 after an 8-5 win over Arnella Di Salvo and Andra Cornea at No. 1.
Nurik clinched the win with her (6-3, 6-2) victory over Carre at No. 1. Nurik improves to 5-0 in the spring and 10-6 overall. Jones is also 5-0 this spring following her (6-3, 6-3) win over Cornea at No. 3. She leads the team with a 16-2 overall singles mark.
Chadwell posted a (6-1, 6-3) win over Ornella at No. 2 and is 4-1 in the spring. Coots, sophomore Claire Mulyadi (Semarang, Indonesia) and freshman Jovana Pecovski (Apitan, Serbia) also had singles wins today.
Clark is in the sixth year of his second stint at UTC. He coached the Lady Mocs from 1999-01 and returned to UTC in 2007. His career record stands at 100-84.
The Lady Mocs are back on the court on Saturday, Feb. 16, when they host Lee University at the Champions Club. First serve is set for 1:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) and this is a double-header with the men's teams. A link for live scoring is available on the women's tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 7, Austin Peay 0
Feb 08, 2013 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Hixson Racquet Club)
1. Kayla Jones/Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. DI SALVO, Ornella/CORNEA, Andra (APSU) 8-5 2. Jenna Nurik/Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. CARRE, Alison/TAVARES, Vanessa
3. Katie Polk/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. COVINGTON, Julie/KARAC, Jovana (APSU) 8-0
1. Jenna Nurik (UTC) def. CARRE, Alison (APSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. DI SALVO, Ornella (APSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. CORNEA, Andra (APSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. TAVARES, Vanessa (APSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. KARAC, Jovana (APSU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Jovana Pecovski (UTC) def. COVINGTON, Julie (APSU) 6-1, 6-0