What your District 9 City Council representative Peter Murphy has done for you and the rest of us:
1. Saved Tatum Park from being sold to developers
2. Key City Council official in bringing Highland Park Commons to reality
3. Voted against taxes aimed at helping not just District 9 but all of the city
Saved the Highland Park Neighborhood Association building from being sold as surplus property by the city.
5. Supported by all Police and Fire organizations because of his commitment to their efforts through his leadership at City Council and his personal efforts within each District 9 neighborhood.
6. Secured over 90 percent of the Federal Stimulus housing dollars available to the city for housing improvements in District 9.
7. In Glenwood, Peter partnered with CNE, the neighborhood, private companies and the county to turn a blighted property into a pocket park.
8. Works on the advisory committee for the Glass House Collective where he has focused on removing blight (run down/vacated structures), closing illegal businesses and drug houses.
9. Led the city efforts to eradicate gang graffiti.
10. Continues to work with Chattanooga Neighborhood Enterprise (CNE) and other organizations to bring in money andother support for the development of new recreation spaces and new housing construction in Bushtown, Churchville, Orchard Knob, East Chattanooga, Ridgedale, Highland Park, and Glenwood
I know Peter Murphy. Peter Murphy is a stand-up guy with integrity. He is transparent and honest in his dealings with the city and residents alike.
He does what we do while we clean our streets, when we paint over graffiti, when WE celebrate our police and fire fighters, when we meet as neighbors to discuss what is great about our communities and what needs fixing. I say this because Peter Murphy is involved in all of those activities with us.
Peter did not leave during his term because a better opportunity came by, nor is he looking for one. He is in the City Council not as a springboard to a higher position, but because he saw a need to make a difference in his community and actually took action. We need City Council members who are committed to all residents in their District, and the city at large.
Black, White, Latino, Asian, Renters, Home Owners, Employed, Looking for Work, Young, Old, New or Long Time Residents. Peter Murphy will continue to represent all of us with more results to come.
Peter Murphy has my vote, and should have yours too. Vote Peter Murphy District 9 on March 5.
Avery Ashby, proud resident of Highland Park
* * *
Peter Murphy is one of the most responsive and professional representatives we have. He has always been helpful with citizen concerns about crime and zoning issues in East Chattanooga.
And I look forward working with him on the issue of speeding commuters on Dodson during his next term.
* * *
I agree with Mr Ashby.
Peter Murphy has demonstrated time and time again his commitment to my district. Yusuf Hakeem left his position as city Councilman during an important time in our city's history choosing a better-paying job over the citizens of his district. Now he wants to come back?
Peter Murphy has never left us and has no plans to leave. His family and his life is in Chattanooga. Mr. Murphy has accomplished more for our district than Yusuf Hakeem ever did.