The Hamilton County Democratic Party Monday announced the procedures for its Biennial Leadership Convention to elect new leaders on April 13. Registration for qualified Democratic Party members will take place from 9-11 a.m., with the meeting commencing thereafter. The meeting will take place at the IBEW Local 175 Headquarters, 3922 Volunteer Dr.
1. Attendees will be asked to fill out the pledge form supplied by the state.
2. Registration tables will collect the forms and double-check that they are filled out correctly.
3. The voter registration list from the Election Commission will be used to check voter registration, precinct and district.
4. Registrants will be asked to wear name tags with precinct and district on the tag.
5. Registrants will be asked to gather by proper precinct and district.
6. Information will be distributed regarding the general duties and responsibilities of precinct officers as attendees register.
7. Before caucusing, the process will be explained in detail.
8. The process will include three steps:
A. Precinct officer elections
B. District officer elections;
C. Party officer elections.
9. Each district caucus will be provided a form to list precinct officers and then district officers. One person for each caucus will be asked to act as facilitator for the caucus.
10. Once precinct officers and district officers have been elected, each caucus will submit their forms to a committee so that that forms can be reviewed.
11. Those who have been elected will be asked to bring their chairs forward in rows. Those who have not been elected will be asked to remove their name tags and to move to the back of the room.
12. A roll call will be held of all those who have been elected. As they answer the role, they will be given an index card to use in voting.
13. Once the roll call is completed, the process of electing party officers will begin.
14. Party officers will be elected in the following order: chair, vice chair, secretary, treasurer.
15. If there are contested elections, voting will be done by standing (if able) and raising an index card to be counted. The numbers will announced. If necessary, a roll call vote will be taken.
For more information about the county convention, contact HCDP Vice Chairman Rodney Strong at email@example.com.
For more information about the Biennial Leadership Convention and its rules, contact the Tennessee Democratic Party, 615.327-9779. www.tndp.org