The woman who was seriously burned Tuesday night, after accidentally splashing herself with flaming hot grease, was listed in stable condition Wednesday morning at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in August, Ga.
Captain Anthony Moore with the Fire Investigation Division said the woman was heating up a pot of grease on the stove when it overheated and burst into flames. The woman said she tried to carry the flaming pot out the front door. Captain Moore believes someone opened the door for her, but as she approached the entrance, the door started to close shut on her. Captain Moore said the woman might have been focused on the flaming pot, because she collided with the door, splashing hot grease all over her.
By then Chattanooga firefighters were on the way. Lt. David Cowden with Quint 21 said the fire was out when they arrived on the scene. Lt. Cowden said a neighbor brought a portable fire extinguisher to put the small fire out. The woman’s two children were home at the time, but they were not injured.
The woman was transported by Hamilton County EMS to Erlanger Medical Center, but Captain Moore said preparations were being made to airlift her to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center.