Woman Burned In Grease Fire In Stable Condition

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The woman who was seriously burned Tuesday night, after accidentally splashing herself with flaming hot grease, was listed in stable condition Wednesday morning at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in August, Ga.

Captain Anthony Moore with the Fire Investigation Division said the woman was heating up a pot of grease on the stove when it overheated and burst into flames. The woman said she tried to carry the flaming pot out the front door. Captain Moore believes someone opened the door for her, but as she approached the entrance, the door started to close shut on her. Captain Moore said the woman might have been focused on the flaming pot, because she collided with the door, splashing hot grease all over her.

By then Chattanooga firefighters were on the way. Lt. David Cowden with Quint 21 said the fire was out when they arrived on the scene. Lt. Cowden said a neighbor brought a portable fire extinguisher to put the small fire out. The woman’s two children were home at the time, but they were not injured.

The woman was transported by Hamilton County EMS to Erlanger Medical Center, but Captain Moore said preparations were being made to airlift her to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center.


Latest Hamilton County Jail Booking Report

Here is the latest jail booking report from Hamilton County: ADAMS, MITCHELL LEE  716 EAST AVENUE CHATTANOOGA, 37411  Age at Arrest: 40 years old Arresting Agency: Chattanooga PUBLIC INTOXICATION --- ANTHONY, CHRISTINA LOREEN  5730 LEE HWY RM 129 CHATTANOOGA, 37421  Age at Arrest: 35 years old Arresting Agency: East Ridge POSSESSION OF ... (click for more)

Attic Of House Near Graysville Road Catches Fire

The attic of a house near Graysville Road caught fire on Friday evening. At 6 p.m. the Chattanooga Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire at 8709 Oak View Dr.. Fire crews arrived at 6 :07 p.m. T he homeowner stated that everyone was out of the house and that there was a fire in the attic. The homeowner said that they had smelled something burning ... (click for more)

Don't Make A Mockery Of Memorial Day - And Response

We're told Memorial Day is the day to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice in order that we, as Americans and others around the world, might live free, unshackled (invisible or otherwise) and without oppression. But how is that so when so many in America continue to be denied those freedoms? Others whose family and friends made the ultimate sacrifice? Their surviving families ... (click for more)

Roy Exum: A Great Orthopedic Success

Mark Freeman, the chief of orthopedic surgery at Erlanger Hospital, shared a dazzling look at our area’s Level One Trauma Center Friday morning. Yet, as he described the dramatic changes that have occurred in just the past 12 months, the promise of what will happen within the next year was even more appealing. Believe this, our flagship hospital is getting well in a hurry. “If ... (click for more)

Baylor Beats GPS 6-4 For D-II Softball Title

MURFREESBORO – Oh, what a difference a year makes. The GPS Bruisers came through the losers bracket a year ago and beat Baylor twice after losing the first five times they played, but those two were the biggest as it gave the team in blue a state D-II softball championship. The situation was similar a year later, but the results a bit different as the Lady Red Raiders beat ... (click for more)

Dickson County Ousts Ooltewah, 6-5, In Epic 12-Inning Thriller

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – For Ooltewah, more heartbreak followed heartbreak. After a tough loss to Wilson Central on Thursday, the Lady Owls fought furiously with Dickson County in an epic 12-inning marathon Friday before the Lady Cougars’ Keely Buchanan laced a game-winning single up the middle to end  the game and Ooltewah's masterful season. Dickson County, which lost ... (click for more)