Chattanooga firefighters responded to a structure fire at 1405 O’Neal Road in Hixson around 6:30 p.m. on Monday. Captain Richard Britt with Quint 19 said the fire was out when the first firefighters arrived.
When fire broke out on the kitchen stove, Captain Britt said the quick thinking female occupant of the house used the spray nozzle from the kitchen sink to extinguish the flames. Captain Britt said her quick actions prevented the fire from getting out of control.
The woman did receive some minor burns to her left hand, but was treated on the scene by her fiancé, who happens to be a registered nurse.
Firefighters advised the woman to have her burn injury checked out by her personal physician.
Battalion Chief Jeff Eldridge said the cause of the fire has been ruled accidental, most likely from food being left unattended on the stove. The dollar loss was estimated at around $10,000.