The Walker County Sheriff’s office will offer a Sheriff’s Citizen Academy, beginning Monday, Aug. 5.
The academy will provide participants with an opportunity to interact with members of the Sheriff’s Department while learning and performing (through role–playing) the job duties of a law enforcement officer. This class is not intended to prepare participants for a career in law enforcement. An eligibility list will be established for last minute cancellations. Applicants will be be notified the week prior to the start of the class of the status of their application.
Increase communication and build a relationship of trust and understanding between the Sheriff’s Department and the citizens of the community.
- Provide education and insight to citizens concerning the job functions of a law enforcement officer.
- Create a non-threatening setting for citizens to share concerns with Sheriff’s Dept. employees.
- Fosters a pool of well informed “graduates” who will share knowledge and insight with others.
- Build a pool of alumni graduates.
The Sheriff Citizen’s Academy will last for 10 weeks. The majority of classes will be two hours per session, and the first class will began Monday Aug. 5. The academy will be held in the new Sheriff’s Department Training building at 10 Probasco St., Lafayette, GA, 30728.
- Be 18 years of age.
- Be 13-17 years of age accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Not have any prior felony or misdemeanor convictions that imply moral corruption.
- Be able to handle graphic material.
- Live or work in the County of Walker
- Application Applications are now being accepted.
- Fill out Application, Sign it, and return to Sheriff Office
For more information, contact Sgt. Pat Cook at 706 638-1909, ext. 252, 105 South Duke Street Lafayette, GA 30728, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.