Starting Monday, and running through the month of August, Gaining Ground will host an online recipe contest, aimed at encouraging cooks to share their recipes using local corn and provide tools for cooking with local food from the Chattanooga community. Gaining Ground Facebook fans will be able to vote for their favorite recipe, with the most voted recipe winning a gift certificate to the Brainerd Farmers Market. This contest is part of the Right Here, Right Now campaign, which focuses on seasonality and celebrates Chattanooga's best flavors.
"We are seeing a busier Farmers Market this summer with new customers seeking out seasonal produce," said Chris Casanova, manager of the Brainerd Farmers Market. "When customers come to our market, they see what's in season, and start to eat according to availability. Accompanied by cooking demos, samples, and farmer inspired recipe cards, the market is not only where one can get to know their farmer and shop for local groceries, but also a place where customers can be supported with educational opportunities."
Along with a recipe contest and farmer inspired recipe cards (available at participating farmers markets), other events around Chattanooga will also celebrate local food:
- Aug. 9: Farm to Table Cooking Demo at Dish T' Pass, 6:30 p.m.; 302 W. 6th Street, dishtpass.com
- Aug. 11: Five Star Food Fight at the Chattanooga Market; Sundays, 11 - 4 p.m.; TN Pavilion, Facebook.com/chattamarket
- Aug. 15: "Experiencing Slow Food" with Slow Food Chattanooga, 6 p.m., Hunter Museum, huntermuseum.org
- Aug. 23: Foodstory Dinner with Chef Nathan Flynt of Famous Nater's at Dish T' Pass, 6:30 p.m.; 302 W. 6th Street, dishtpass.com
- Aug. 31: Local Food Cooking Class with Gaining Ground at Mia Cucina, 6 p.m., 345 Frazier Avenue, theplaceforcooks.com
Visit the provided websites for more information and how to RSVP: Facebook.com/growchattanooga, Twitter: @GainGroundCHA, Instagram: @gainingground; #CHAlocalfood.