A home was heavily damaged by fire Thursday morning.
At 5:30 a.m., a mother was awakened by her daughter stating her bedroom was on fire. They immediately evacuated the house and called 911.
The Signal Mountain Fire Department responded to 532 Timberlinks Drive, and reported heavy smoke coming from the house. Firefighters entered the house, conducted an interior attack and found a second-floor bedroom on fire. They extinguished the fire quickly and contained it to the bedroom.
According to Signal Mountain Chief Eric Mitchell, the 15-year-old girl had a candle burning in her room. She left her bedroom to take a shower and when she returned, found her bedroom on fire.
Damages to the house are listed at $40,000-50,000. The bedroom is a loss and the rest of the house received heavy heat and smoke damage.
No injuries were reported, but Hamilton County EMS was on the scene for any potential injuries. The cause of the fire was an unattended burning candle.
The Signal Mountain Fire Department requested a mutual aid response for additional manpower. Walden's Ridge Emergency Services responded.