In response to a plea for donations from Chattanooga Theatre Centre Executive Director George Quick to the organization’s core supporters, more than $45,000 has been raised of the $90,000 needed.
In the email sent almost two weeks ago, Mr. Quick cited "the demise of Atlanta’s Theatre of the Stars and the dire state of the New York City Opera as examples of how precarious all arts organizations are in our current economic and political climate."
Since the initial request for money for the operating budget and the subsequent news coverage, the CTC is more than halfway to its goal, including a $25,000 anonymous donation from a supporter.
"It's increasingly difficult to garner local corporate and foundation support, so we rely on our supporters to give to this beloved Chattanooga cultural institution," said Mr. Quick.
The Theatre Centre generates 60 percent of the operating funds through "earned revenue" including subscriptions, single ticket sales, parking lot revenue, class tuition and facility rentals. That leaves 40 percent to make up in "unearned revenue" such as grants from ArtsBuild, the Tennessee Arts Commission, corporate support and individual contributions.
Here are some additional fiscal facts about the CTC’s operating budget:
Ticket sales make up 42 percent of income for the CTC. If the CTC relied on ticket sales alone without funding from other sources, a ticket to a show at the CTC would cost almost $60.
Funding from the Tennessee Arts Commission and ArtsBuild has decreased
CTC’s operating budget has been cut from $1.2 million in 2008 to $850,000 today
CTC cut a full-time staff of 16 people full time in 2008 to 9 FT/ 3 PT staff today.
Despite funding shortfall, the CTC still hopes to produce 14 plays this season.
Mr. Quick encourages supporters send a contribution of $90 or more in honor of the CTC’s 90th Anniversary, but assures that any size contribution will help. Donors can give online at TheatreCentre.com, by calling the Box Office at 267-8534 (Tuesday-Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.) or send a check to this address: CTC Annual Fund, PO Box 4023, Chattanooga, TN 37405.