Chattanooga firefighters responded to a house fire at 3707 Forest Highland Drive around 5:30 p.m. on Thursday.
Captain Eric Gordon with Quint 16 said heavy smoke was coming out of the house when the first firefighters arrived. Homeowner Randy Sarver, his wife and daughter all got out of the house safely, along with their four dogs. Unfortunately, their pet lizard, a Bearded Dragon, did not survive.
Mr. Sarver told firefighters that the fire was in the rear bedroom, and he thought he got the fire out with a garden hose. Captain Gordon said some firefighters entered the bedroom with a hand-held hose line. They confirmed that most of the fire appeared to be out, except for a few hot spots.
The cause of the fire appeared to be accidental. Captain Gordon said the fire was most likely started by a malfunctioning heat lamp that was used to keep the lizard warm. The loss was estimated at around $3,000.