A house in the Harrison area was destroyed by fire early Wednesday morning.
At 12:40 a.m., a 911 call was made reporting a house fire at the Smallen residence at 6941 Short Tail Springs Road. The Highway 58 Volunteer Fire Department responded and reported fire showing through the roof and three-fourths of the house fully involved.
With the home sitting 200 feet off the main street and a very steep driveway, firefighters could not get the fire apparatus up the driveway. They began laying several hose lines up the driveway to attack the fire. Firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the fire in a “defensive” mode. With the brutal, cold temperatures, the firefighters requested a mutual aid response for additional manpower and apparatus. The Tri-Community VFD responded to assist the firefighters.
Highway 58 VFD Deputy Chief Mark Hutchings, reported the fire started by the wood-burning stove. Mr. Ken Smallen, the homeowner, tried to extinguish the fire before calling 911. No injuries were reported. The house is a loss. The Smallen family will be staying with family members.