Snow started mid-morning on Tuesday, and many schools announced early dismissals.
The snow is to be accompanied by bitter cold.
Here are closings:
UTC was closing at noon. Evening classes are also cancelled.
Boyd Buchanan School will dismiss at 11 a.m.
Bradley County and City schools will close at 11:30 a.m.- High and middle then elementary - Inclement Routes only.
The SPCA of Bradley County public forum scheduled for Tuesday evening is being cancelled due to inclement weather. The forum will be rescheduled for later this month.
Catoosa County Schools are dismissing early. Elementary schools and student drivers dismiss at 11:30 a.m. Middle and high schools dismiss at 12:30 p.m.
Chattanooga Christian School dismissed school. Teachers will be on campus until the last student is picked up.
Chattanooga City Council committee meetings and City Council assembly meeting scheduled for 6 p.m. have been cancelled.
Chattanooga State will close at noon.
Cleveland City Schools releasing students early. Middle and high schools at 11:30 a.m. Elementary schools at 12:30 p.m.
Dade County schools will dismiss at noon.
Dayton City Schools will dismiss at 12:30 p.m.
East Ridge City Court for Tuesday is cancelled.
The Board meetings of HMC, Inc., HHE, Inc. and The Hospital Authority of Walker, Dade and Catoosa Counties scheduled for Tuesday at 6 p.m. has been cancelled.
All city of East Ridge sponsored activities, including events at the East Ridge Community Center and Camp Jordan Park, for Tuesday evening are cancelled due to inclement weather. The East Ridge Library will close at 5 p.m.
Due to weather and road conditions, both the Erlanger Dodson Avenue and Southside Community Health Care Centers are closed today. Area residents who have appointments with Erlanger physicians this week are asked to call their physician office for updates on hours of operation.
Georgia Department of Labor Career Centers in Blue Ridge, Cartersville, Cobb County, Dalton and Rome close due to winter weather conditions.
All campuses of Georgia Northwestern Technical College will close Tuesday, at 11:30 a.m. All day and evening classes are canceled.
Hamilton County General Sessions Court, both criminal and civil, are closed for the rest of Tuesday. All cases scheduled for the afternoon will need to be rescheduled. Please call your attorneys and/or the clerk’s office to reschedule your cases.
The Hamilton County Courthouse closed.
Hamilton County government offices are open.
Hamilton County Schools will begin dismissing at 11 a.m. There will be no school aged child care and all extracurricular activities are cancelled.
Marion County Schools will dismiss at 10:30 a.m.
McCallie School will end at 10:30 a.m. All afternoon and evening activities cancelled. Buses run at 10:45 a.m.
McMinn County Schools will dismiss at 11 a.m.
Perry Perkins meet and greet at Apison is postponed.
Red Bank city offices closed at noon. The workshop that was schedule for Tuesday at 5 p.m. to discuss the Red Bank city manager contract has been re-scheduled. This topic will be discussed during the regularly scheduled Agenda Work Session on Tuesday, Feb. 4, at noon. The work session will be held at Red Bank City Hall, 3117 Dayton Blvd.
Silverdale Academy is closed effective immediately. Parents, please check your phone for further details.
Walker County government offices are closing.
Whitfield County elementary schools will dismiss students Tuesday, at 11:15 a.m., followed by middle and high schools at 12:15 p.m.
YFD centers, facilities and social services will close at 2 p.m. on Tuesday. All sports and afternoon activities are canceled for today and tonight.
Here is the winter weather advisory:
..WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO 10 PM EST THIS EVENING... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO 10 PM EST THIS EVENING. * EVENT...SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE TO TWO INCHES. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. * TIMING...MID MORNING THROUGH THIS EVENING. * IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING...BUT ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE LIGHT. DRIVING AND WALKING MAY BE DIFFICULT ON UNTREATED ROADWAYS AND SIDEWALKS. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...SLOW DOWN AND ALLOW EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION.
Here is the latest forecast:
- Today Snow, mainly between 1pm and 4pm. High near 27. Wind chill values between 2 and 12. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
- Tonight A 30 percent chance of snow before 7pm. Cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 9. Wind chill values between zero and 5. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 30. Wind chill values between zero and 10. North wind around 5 mph.
- Wednesday Night Clear, with a low around 11. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph.
- Thursday Sunny, with a high near 40. Light and variable wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
- Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 25.
- Friday Partly sunny, with a high near 51.
- Friday Night A 40 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39.
- Saturday A 50 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 59.
- Saturday Night A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 41.
- Sunday A 30 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 51.
- Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34.
- Monday A 20 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 52.
TDOT camera shot of I-75/I-24 junction