A ruptured natural gas line led to a fire around 1 a.m. Tuesday morning, at the Eureka Foundry at 1601 Reggie White Boulevard. The gas found an ignition source and erupted into flames. The Chattanooga Fire Department responded with six fire companies.
When firefighters entered the structure, Lt. Charles Waddell with Quint 1 said there were flames approximately 10 to 15 feet high shooting from a ruptured natural gas line on the floor. Firefighters brought in a hand-held hoseline, but Lt. Waddell instructed the firefighters to hold off on extinguishing the flames until the gas supply was shut off. Otherwise, the gas could build up again, find another ignition source in the building, and cause an explosion.
Firefighters found the shut-off valve and the fire was quickly put out. Before being extinguished, the fire had extended to the wood decking on the roof. Some firefighters got on the roof and used cutting tools to gain access to hot spots in the wood decking. After about an hour, the firefighters were confident that the fire was completely out.
No injuries were reported. Lt. Andrew Waters with the Fire Investigation Division estimated the loss at $20,000, but that figure could change after employees with Eureka Foundry have more time to assess the damage.