Kelly and Sandy Hicks left their home at 116 Norman Lane around noon Wednesday afternoon to run some errands. While driving on Signal Mountain Boulevard to get back home, they saw thick black smoke coming from their neighborhood. Mr. Hicks commented to his wife that he sure hoped it wasn’t their house. Unfortunately, it was. Some employees with the city’s public works division, who happened to be in the area, spotted the fire around 2 p.m. and called 911.
The Chattanooga Fire Department responded with several fire companies. Captain Craig Haney with Quint 17 said most of the fire appeared to be on the front porch, but he said the flames had extended into a front bedroom, and up into the attic.
While the firefighters were able to get the fire out fairly quickly, there was a fair amount of damage to the porch, bedroom and attic area. The rest of the house had some smoke and water damage, and the power had to be cut to the house. Captain Haney estimated the loss at roughly $100,000 for the building and its contents. No injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire appears to be accidental. Captain Anthony Moore with the Fire Investigation Division said the fire appears to have originated from a freezer on the front porch.
Mr. Hicks said they have lived in that house since 1969. The couple will be staying with their son overnight.