Chattanooga firefighters were dispatched to a house fire shortly before 1 a.m. Thursday at 2607 Lockwood Ave. The snow-covered roads made it difficult for the fire apparatus to get to the house, but they did get there.
Lt. Wadie Suttles with Engine 4 said fire was visible on one corner of the building. All of the residents were out of the house.
The fire appeared to be between the exterior and exterior wall of the house, and was spreading into the attic. Lt. Suttles said the firefighters attacked the fire from the inside and out, and managed to get the fire under control in about 20 minutes. No injuries were reported.
The resident told firefighters that she was sleeping when a smoke alarm activated. When she went to the living room, she saw a lot of smoke coming from the fireplace. She wasn’t sure that was a problem until she heard someone yelling outside her house, saying the house was on fire.
Lt. Suttles believed the cause of the fire was accidental. He believes it started around the fireplace, but what exactly sparked the blaze remains undetermined. Most of the house was saved. The loss was estimated at $10,000.
- Photo2 by Battalion Chief Rick Boatwright