The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women’s tennis team extended its season-opening winning streak to three matches without a loss today with a 7-0 victory over Evansville.
Chattanooga jumped into the lead early with a clean sweep of the doubles for the third straight outing.
“I thought we came out really focused,” head coach Jeff Clark said. “We played well in doubles at every position. Tremendous focus at the outset of doubles, and we played well, that’s a good combination.”
Sophomore Kelsey Coots and senior Alexa Flynn struck first with a 6-1 victory over Brguljan and Coastales at No. 2. Chattanooga clinched the point when the No. 3 team of freshman Rachele Gazzola and junior Claire Mulyadi defeated Evansville’s Milovic and Moreno 6-2.
Chattanooga remained perfect in singles action, earning three quick points from sophomore Kayla Jones, Flynn, and junior Kaylene Chadwell. Those four points clinched the team win for the Mocs.
“In singles we got up in all of the first sets and any chance they might have had to gain momentum back we took it away from them,” Clark said. “It was nice to feel like we were in control the whole way.”
UTC will puts its 3-0 start to the test next weekend with a pair of matches in Memphis. The Mocs face the Tigers on Friday, Feb. 8, at 7:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) and Murray State on Saturday, Feb. 8, at 2:00 p.m. The next home match is set for Thursday, Feb. 20 when the Mocs host Mercer at 2:00 p.m.
Chattanooga 7, Evansville 0
1. Kaylene Chadwell/Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Natasha James/Marketa Trousilova (UE) – 6-2
2. Kelsey Coots/Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Andjela Brguljan/Kelsey Costales (UE) – 6-1
3. Rachele Gazzola/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Mina Milovic/Marina Moreno(UE) – 6-2
1. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Marketa Trousilova (UE) – 6-1, 6-1
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Natasha James (UE) – 6-3, 6-0
3. Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Marina Moreno (UE) – 6-1, 6-2
4. Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. Andjela Brguljan (UE) – 6-4, 6-2
5. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Mina Milovic (UE) – 6-2, 7-5
6. Alison Storie (UTC) def. Kelsey Costales (UE) – 6-2, 1-6, 1(10-2)-0