Tennessee American Water announced Wednesday that applications are now being accepted for the company’s 2014 Environmental Grant Program awards. The grant awards will be available in Tennessee American Water service areas in Tennessee and North Georgia.
Tennessee American Water’s Environmental Grant Program is aimed at supporting local organizations with environmentally focused initiatives. For the past few years, the grant program has offered funds for innovative, community-based environmental projects that improve, restore or protect the watersheds, surface water and/or groundwater supplies through partnerships with local organizations.
“Tennessee American Water is committed to ensuring water quality through testing and treatment, as well as through consumer education and community source protection programs,” said Kevin Rogers, operations manager. “We are all environmental stewards in protecting our water supplies, and this program is one way we help our community play an active role.”
In 2013, Tennessee American Water awarded a total of four projects throughout its service area grant money totaling more than $8,715. Organizations that received environmental grants in 2013 included Chattanooga Girls Leadership Academy, Lookout Mountain Conservancy, Wild South and Tennessee Aquarium.
To qualify, proposed projects must:
· Address a source water or watershed protection need in the community
· Be completed between May 1 and Nov. 30
· Be a new or innovative program for the community, or serve as a significant expansion to an existing program
· Be carried out by a formal or informal partnership between two or more organizations
· Provide evidence of sustainability (continued existence after the American Water grant monies are utilized)
· Be located within a Tennessee American Water service area
For more information, visit www.amwater.com/EnvironmentalGrantProgram or contact Daphne Kirksey, External Affairs manager, at email@example.com or 423 771-4750. Applications must be postmarked by March 31, and recipients will be notified by April 14.