The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team had its three match winning streak snapped with a 5-2 loss against Davidson this afternoon. Chattanooga falls to 5-8 overall and 1-3 in the SoCon.
Due to inclement weather the match was moved from the UTC Tennis Courts to the Baylor High School indoor tennis facility.
The Mocs battled hard in doubles, earning the first point, but were unable to capitalize in singles. “This was a tough one,” head coach Carlos Garcia said. “Our guys played really hard today. “
The freshmen doubles team of Austin Boaz and Derrick Brown started the Mocs off, defeating their opponents 8-1 at No. 3. The team of senior Jorge Varon and sophomore John Peacey at No. 1 followed closely behind with an 8-4 win that gave Chattanooga the doubles point.
Unfortunately, the Mocs were unable to hold the momentum going into singles action and dropped five of their six matches.
Sophomore Gino Delavalle was the only Moc able to walk away with a win with two quick sets of 6-2 and 6-1.
Chattanooga is back in action Wednesday March 26 against Lee. The next conference match will take place against Wofford on Saturday March 29.
Chattanooga 2, Davidson 5
Mar 23, 2014 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Baylor)
1. Jorge Varon/John Peacey (UTC) def. Robert Lightbourn/Connor Evins (Dav) 8-4
2. Evan Watkins/Ethan Kallick (Dav) def. Luke Saunders/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 8-7 (3)
3. Austin Boaz/Derrick Brown (UTC) def. Alex Howard/Jordan Hart (Dav) 8-1
1. Robert Lightbourn (Dav) def Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 6-4, 6-1
2. Connor Evins (Dav) def. Jorge Varon (UTC) 7-5, 4-6, 6-7
3. Ethan Kallick (Dav) def. Luke Saunders (UTC) 6-2, 6-2
4. J.B. Gough (Dav) def. John Peacey (UTC) 2-6, 7-6, 6-7
5. Gino Delavalle (UTC) def. Alex Howard (Dav) 6-2, 6-1
6. Evan Watkins (Dav) def. Austin Boaz (UTC) 6-4, 2-6, 0-6