Two families were displaced by a duplex fire on Wednesday afternoon.
A 911 call was received at 3 p.m., reporting a fire in the right side of duplex at 5535 Jewell Road, off Highway 58.
The Highway 58 Volunteer Fire Department responded and reported an involved duplex fire for both units (5533 and 5535 Jewel Road). Firefighters worked quickly to gain access to both units to conduct an interior attack.
The Highway 58 VFD requested a mutual aid response from the Tri-Community VFD to assist them. Bradley County Fire Rescue stood by at Highway 58 fire halls for any emergency calls in their district.
Fire officials report Kevin McKenzie, in the right duplex unit, was home at the time cooking in the kitchen. He said the grease caught fire and spread throughout the kitchen. He ran outside to notify the other tenant next door, Daniel Jimenez, that his side of the duplex was on fire.
No injuries were reported, but Hamilton County EMS was on the scene for any potential injuries. Damages are at $160,000 for both sides, but maybe subject to change. Both families were uninsured.
The McKenzie family will be staying with family members. Mr. Jimenez and Ms. Daisy Tesorero will be receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.