State offices statewide are being closed the remainder of the day due to icy conditions.
State officials said at 11:30 a.m., "Due to continuing hazardous weather conditions across Tennessee, state offices will be closed the remainder of the day statewide. Mission critical state employees will report to work as usual."
Some area schools were closing due to the icy roads, including Grundy County and Van Buren County.
Bledsoe County Schools closed at 11:15 a.m. and Rhea County was dismissing at 1 p.m.
An early morning windstorm knocked down many power lines in the Chattanooga area.
The brief, fierce winds knocked off power to a number of EPB customers.
At 7 a.m., there were over 100 without power in the Red Bank-Moccasin Bend area and also in the East Ridge area.
At 8 a.m., over 100 remained without power at Red Bank-Moccasin Bend.
With temperatures remaining higher than expected, snow and sleet were removed from the Chattanooga forecast.
Initial forecasts also had dropping temperatures leading to freezing rain later today.
However, that is no longer in the latest Chattanooga forecast:
- This Afternoon Mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 31. North wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- Tonight Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 50. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the morning.
- Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 33. South wind around 5 mph.
- Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 60. Calm wind.
- Wednesday Night A 20 percent chance of rain after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39.
- Thursday A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 53.
- Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 36.
- Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 60.
- Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 41.
- Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 64.
- Saturday Night A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41.
- Sunday A 20 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 56.