High school seniors in Cleveland/Bradley County who are interested in a career in science, technology and engineering are encouraged to apply for the WACKER Science Award. All entries must be postmarked by March 18.
“We know that the leaders of tomorrow and our future employees are shaped by the educational environment today, and we recognize that our responsibility as a company extends beyond our business activities,” said Dr. Konrad Bachhuber, vice president and site manager for WACKER POLYSILICON North America. “It is for this reason we developed the WACKER Science Award scholarship program, which fully replaces our valedictorian award. It is our goal with this new program to support and encourage students who demonstrate a strong aptitude and passion for science.”
Since June 2009—before the company broke ground on their site in Charleston,—WACKER POLYSILICON has awarded scholarships each year to high school seniors in Bradley County. To date, the company has provided a total of $16,000 in local scholarships.
The WACKER Science Award is a $1,000 scholarship, applied directly to college tuition, for the most eligible student who submits an essay which best answers the following question: “Why do you wish to pursue science or engineering after high school?”
- A graduating senior in good standing at one of the following high schools: Bradley Central High School, Cleveland High School, Walker Valley High School
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- "A" average in science classes (93 to 100 percentage range)
- Plans to attend a university in the eastern region of Tennessee full time
- Proven interest in science (ex. participates in science fairs, projects, clubs if available)
- Intent to pursue a science or engineering degree
- Immediate family members of WACKER employees are not eligible for this award
One winner will be selected from each of the three high schools mentioned above.
Each winner will receive:
- $1,000 scholarship (one-time award)
- Physical award to display at home
- Certificate of recognition
- Eligibility for a WACKER POLYSILICON North America internship in Junior/Senior year of college
- Global recognition within WACKER