Cooking Oil Left On Stove Caused Fire At House On Lytle Street In North Chattanooga

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

New details have been obtained related to Tuesday’s fire at 600 Lytle Street.

The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm at 5:50 p.m. and responded with four fire companies. Captain Jonathan Lehman with Squad 1 said heavy smoke was showing from the residence, with most of the fire located in the kitchen area. There were three residents in the house at the time, and Captain Lehman said all three got out of the house safely.

The firefighters made an aggressive interior attack and managed to contain most of the fire to the kitchen, but there was significant smoke and water damage to the rest of the structure. No injuries were reported. The loss was estimated at $48,000.

Lt. Henry McElvain with the Fire Investigation Division said four adult males lived in the rented house. One man was asleep in bed. Another was heating up oil on the stove to cook dinner, and another went to the store. The fourth man, Larry Williams Jr., was out walking his dog and as he returned to his house, he discovered the house was on fire. Mr. Williams alerted the two men in the house – including the one who was asleep – and they all got out safely.

The man who was transported to the hospital by EMS was not suffering from smoke inhalation as previously reported. Lt. McElvain said he was transported as a precaution, because he had a pre-existing medical condition. Volunteers with the American Red Cross of Southeast Tennessee were called in to provide assistance to the victims.

The cause of the fire was confirmed to be accidental, due to the cooking oil being left unattended on the stove.

To see video by Paul Elliott, click here.



Boy, 4, In Critical Condition After Near Drowning In Farm Pond

A four-year-old boy was in critical condition after nearly drowning in a farm pond on Tuesday afternoon. The incident happened when the child wandered away from adults at the property near the Hamilton/Sequatchie line on Walden's Ridge. The child's grandfather found him in the water. He was taken by helicopter to Children's Hospital, where he was in the Intensive Care ... (click for more)

House Fire Linked To Kids Playing With Matches

Around  12:30  p.m. on Wednesday, Chattanooga firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire at 8143 E. Brainerd Road. Captain Skyler Phillips said smoke from the fire was visible from miles away as they raced to the scene from Station 21. Once on the scene, the firefighters encountered a carport engulfed in flames, with the fire rapidly spreading to the adjacent ... (click for more)

A Disturbing Trend At Exit 11 - And Response (2)

So, am I the first to notice a trend?   How many wrecks does exit 11 need before anyone asks "whats up with that?"  I have lost count of the wrecks that continue to happen, even after last year's awful loss of life (which I believe 51 percent of the blame should fall on the THP officer on duty).  The problem with this section of interstate are sight lines ... (click for more)

Roy Exum: What You Leave Behind

Randy Travis, one of the best at singing country songs that has ever been, had a song about three people who got killed when an 18-wheeler missed a stop sign. There was a farmer and a teacher, a hooker and a preacher on this bus and Randy tells us: “One's headed for vacation, one for higher education, An' two of them were searchin' for lost souls.” In that wonderful song, the ... (click for more)

Hensley Succeeds Henry As Soddy-Daisy Athletic Director

Soddy-Daisy baseball coach Jared Hensley has added a new role to his duties. Hensley, who has coached the baseball Trojans for eight years with a 177-111 record and state tournament appearances in 2011 and 2015, is the school’s new athletic director. Hensley takes over for Steve Henry, now the school’s principal. “With coach Henry now the man in charge at our school,” ... (click for more)

Unbeaten Fairyland Clinches Red Division Swim Title

Members of the Calhoun swim team were set and ready to compete on the pool deck at the Fairyland Club Monday night, but they never got wet as the meet was postponed by lighting, thunder and the overall threat of stormy weather. They made the long trip back about 24 hours later and the second time around wasn’t nearly as productive as 21 less swimmers made the trip to the top ... (click for more)