Chattanooga firefighters responded to a house fire at 3505 Hoyt Street around 2:30 p.m. on Monday, on Hoyt Street.
Larry Mangahne told firefighters that he and his grandson were the only ones home at the time. Mr. Mangahne said he was in the kitchen cooking when his grandson ran up to him saying there was a fire in the bedroom. Both got out of the house safely.
When Chattanooga firefighters arrived, they found the fire in the upstairs bedroom.
Lt. Terrance Andrews with Engine 15 said the firefighters put the fire out quickly, containing the fire damage to the bedroom. The rest of the house had smoke and water damage.
The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental. Lt. Henry McElvain with the Fire Investigation Division said Mr. Mangahne’s seven-year-old grandson found a cigarette lighter and set some bed linens on fire in a bedroom.
The loss from the fire was estimated at $26,000.
To see video by Bruce Garner, click here.