Lee Tennis Teams Fall In Season Finales
Thursday, April 17, 2014
The Lee University Tennis teams ended their seasons by hosting former SSAC foe Auburn University at Montgomery Wednesday afternoon at the DeVos Tennis Center. The Lady Flames fell to the NAIA No. 4 Lady Warhawks by an 8-1 margin, while the Flames were defeated by the No. 2 Warhawks, 9-0.
The Lady Flames (4-14) trailed 3-0 following doubles action. Tonya McGraner and Maclain Yowarsky lost 8-3 to Paula Diaz and Anna Rudolfova at No. 1 doubles. Lee's No. 2 (Jodie Rice and Krista Good) and No. 3 (Kelsey Lovingood and Annie Sandberg) both lost by 8-0 margins.
Lee picked up a team point at No. 6 singles after AUM's Chanel Cunningham withdrew from singles competition, forcing the Lady Warhawks (14-7) to bump their No. 5 and No. 6 singles up on spot.
McGraner lost her opening set 6-0 and was edged 6-4 in the second set by Jade Curtis. Yowarsky picked up one game in each set against Diaz. Sandberg, Rice and Good each recorded one game win in each of their singles matches.
The Flames (2-14) also trailed AUM (18-3) by three following the doubles competition. Richard Gamble and Daniel Hardesty lost 8-3 to Francisco Mendieta and Josh Reason. At No. 2 doubles, Alberto Calle and Wes Lemke were beaten 8-1. The Warhawk's No. 3 team of Nicolas Pinones-Haltenhoff and Miguel Grifol were 8-2 victors over Kevin Tan and vincent Audy.
In the six singles matches, the Flames won 14 of the 86 games played. Lemke tallied a team-high four games (6-3, 6-1), while Calle and Hardesty each earned three game-wins. Each Flames player in the lineup won at least one game.
No. 4 Auburn Montgomery 8, Lady Flames 1
1. Jade Curtis (AUM) def. Tonya McGraner (LU) 6-0, 6-4
2. Paula Diaz (AUM) def. Maclain Yowarsky (LU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Celine Lenertz (AUM) def. Annie Sandberg (LU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Anna Rudolfova (AUM) def. Jodie Rice (LU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Bright Phakamad (AUM) def. Krista Good (LU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Morgan Friedlander (LU) def. No player (AUM), by default
1. Paula Diaz/Anna Rudolfova (AUM) def. Tonya McGraner/Maclain Yowarsky (LU) 8-3
2. Jade Curtis/Bright Phakamad (AUM) def. Jodie Rice/Krista Good (LU) 8-0
3. Celine Lenertz/Chanel Cunningham (AUM) def. Kelsey Lovingood/Annie Sandberg (LU) 8-0
No. 2 Auburn Montgomery 9, Flames 0
1. Nicolas Pinones (AUM) def. Alberto Calle (LU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Zinelabidine Jouini (AUM) def. Richard Gamble (LU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Vincent Dubosclard (AUM) def. Daniel Hardesty (LU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Othmane Lalami (AUM) def. Kevin Tan (LU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Miguel Grifol (AUM) def. Vincent Audy (LU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Francisco Mendieta (AUM) def. Westley Lemke (LU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Francisco Mendieta/Josh Reason (AUM) def. Richard Gamble/Daniel Hardesty (LU) 8-3
2. Zinelabidine Jouini/Othmane Lalami (AUM) def. Alberto Calle/Westley Lemke (LU) 8-1
3. Nicolas Pinones/Miguel Grifol (AUM) def. Kevin Tan/Vincent Audy (LU) 8-2