The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team snapped a three-match losing streak with a 7-0 sweep of Lee University Wednesday. The Mocs won all 10 matches on a beautiful afternoon at the UTC Tennis Courts.
Today’s dual with the Flames of the NCAA Division II Gulf South Conference is a make-up contest from earlier in the season. UTC improves to 6-10 overall while Lee drops to 1-11.
The Mocs jumped out to a 1-0 lead after taking all three doubles matches. Junior Pavels Grigorjevs and sophomore John Peacey teamed together at No. 1 for the first time and scored an 8-7 win over Lee’s Richard Gamble and Daniel Hardesty. Sophomores Luke Saunders and Gino Delavalle improved to 2-1 with their win at No. 2 while freshmen Austin Boaz and Derrick Brown evened their record at 4-4 with a win at No. 3.
The Mocs took the match with three quick singles wins. Peacey shut out Kavin Tan (6-0, 6-0) at No. 4, followed by Brown’s (6-1, 6-1) win over Andre Ishida at No. 6. Grigorjevs closed out the dual with a (6-0, 6-2) win over Alberto Calle at the top spot. Saunders, Delavalle and Boaz also had singles wins on the day.
The Mocs are back on the court on Friday, April 6, against Georgia Southern at 2:00 p.m.
Chattanooga 7, Lee University 0
Apr 02, 2014 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (UTC Tennis Courts)
1. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Alberto Calle (LEE) 6-0, 6-2
2. Luke Saunders (UTC) def. Richard Gamble (LEE) 6-1, 6-2
3. Gino Delavalle (UTC) def. Daniel Hardesty (LEE) 6-3, 6-2
4. John Peacey (UTC) def. Kevin Tan (LEE) 6-0, 6-0
5. Austin Boaz (UTC) def. Vincent Audy (LEE) 3-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Derrick Brown (UTC) def. Andre Ishida (LEE) 6-1, 6-1
1. Pavels Grigorjevs/John Peacey (UTC) def. Richard Gamble/Daniel Hardesty (LEE) 8-7
2. Luke Saunders/Gino Delavalle (UTC) def. Westley Lemke/Alberto Calle (LEE) 8-3
3. Austin Boaz/Derrick Brown (UTC) def. Kevin Tan/Vincent Audy (LEE) 8-6
Lee University 1-11
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,6,1,3,2,5)