Woman Addicted To Sniffing Gas Arrested For Endangering Lives

Wednesday, April 9, 2014
Victoria Daniels
Victoria Daniels

A Chattanooga woman was arrested on Wednesday in connection with a fire on March 29 at the Mountain Brook Apartments.

Captain Craig Haney with Quint 17 said he and other firefighters noticed the strong smell of gasoline in the apartment where the fire occurred. Captain Anthony Moore with the Fire Investigation Division was called in to investigate. Captain Moore said there was evidence that one of the two occupants had been sniffing, or “huffing” gasoline in the apartment’s bathroom.

Details are being obtained at this point, but the person sniffing the gas apparently used a cigarette lighter or lit a match in the bathroom. With the room full of gas fumes, a fire erupted. Miraculously, the two occupants in the apartment were not injured. Chattanooga firefighters responded quickly and were able to contain the blaze to just one apartment unit. The loss was estimated at $75,000.

The investigation led to today’s arrest of Victoria Daniels, 24. Captain Moore said that after the fire on March 29, Ms. Daniels and her husband were evicted from Mountain Brook Apartments and were staying at the HomeAway Extended Stay Studios on Northpoint Boulevard in Hixson.

As Captain Moore and fellow investigator Henry McElvain approached the room Wednesday morning, they could smell gas. Ms. Daniels refused to answer the door, so the investigators entered through a window and apprehended her. While inside, they found two one-gallon bleach containers full of gas inside the motel room.

With the assistance of Chattanooga police, the fire investigators transported Ms. Daniels to the Fire Administration Building for questioning. Not long after they left with the suspect, Extended Stay motel employees found a diaper bag that contained two one-gallon jugs of gas.

Captain Moore said Ms. Daniels never admitted to anything and refused to cooperate with the investigation. Around noon on Wednesday, Captain Moore charged Ms. Daniels with six counts of reckless endangerment. That charge stems from the danger the other residents were exposed to when Ms. Daniels’ gas sniffing led to the fire at Mountain Brooks Apartments.

Chattanooga police transported Ms. Daniels to the county jail for booking.

Officials said, "Apparently, sniffing gas is another way to get a cheap “high,” though the practice is fraught with danger. It’s not only extremely dangerous to the user’s health; the gas presents the very real danger of a fire or explosion."

The investigation related to this incident is ongoing.


Latest Hamilton County Jail Booking Report

Here is the latest jail booking report from Hamilton County: BARBEE, ANGELA CHRISTINE  689 HARRIS CREEK TRAIL CLEVELAND, 37311  Age at Arrest: 51 years old Arresting Agency: Hamilton County VIOLATION OF PROBATION (DOMESTIC ASSAULT) --- BARNETT, TIHONIE BERRY  3512 DODSON AVENUE CHATTANOOGA, 37406  Age at Arrest: 20 years old Arresting Agency: ... (click for more)

Home In Apison Heavily Damaged By Fire On Tuesday

A home was damaged by fire Tuesday evening. At  6 p.m. , a neighbor called 911 reporting a house fire at 4724 Wesleyan Road. The Tri-Community Volunteer Fire Department responded and arrived on the scene reporting 25% of the house was involved with fire. Firefighters quickly established a water line to get the fire under control. Other Tri-Community firefighters ... (click for more)

Colonel Enicks Is Turning Out Leaders At Red Bank High School

I am a former teacher and football coach at Red Bank High School. I have been a witness to the great things that happen at Red Bank High School.  The teaching staff has a great mixture of experience and promising new teachers.   Dr. Robertson, the principal, is a great man and a wonderful role model for students. He shows up the same way every day and his consistency ... (click for more)

Roy Exum: Christian Schools Bully, Too

Earlier this week, after I shared a story about bullying written by a very brave mother, it opened a floodgate of emails from parents and students who have been forced to endure such madness in our elementary, junior and senior high schools. Discipline is the No. 1 problem in our schools. Because of it, or because of a lack of it, no wonder our children cannot achieve all that ... (click for more)

Meigs County Upends Silverdale In Class A Softball

MURFREESBORO – The Meigs County Lady Tigers have been on a collision course with the Silverdale Lady Seahawk softball team all season and they finally got a chance to play – in the opening round of the Class A state tournament here at the StarPlex Field Number 4. By far the two best teams in that classification, the Lady Tigers claimed round one with a come-from-behind 3-1 ... (click for more)