1. Warner Park Pool and Spray Park opens May 25th at 12:30pm for the summer. Swim lesson registration begins May 24th-May 30th for pre-school through adult. Just $34 for lessons. Warner Park pool also offers water fitness for just $2 and stand up paddle board classes for $10. Summer pool brochure at chattanoogayouthandfamily.com or call 697-1385.
2. 9th Annual Rat Race is set for Saturday, June 14th at Coolidge Park. Compete and swim either 4.5 miles or 2.4 miles down the TN River. Proceeds will benefit the City of Chattanooga lifeguard scholarship fund. Register at chattanoogaratrace.com
3. Chattanooga Youth & Family Development’s Annual Hershey’s Track and Field Competition is set for Friday, June 13th at 10:15am. Open to all boys and girls ages 9-14. Test your skills at running, jumping, and softball throw, with a chance to compete in Hershey, PA. For more information, call Richard at 643-6055.
4. Celebrate National Senior Health & Fitness, Wednesday May 28th from 9am-1pm at Eastgate Senior Activity Center. Enjoy fitness, food, door prizes, bingo, health screenings, fun walk and much more! All FREE. Brought to you by Chattanooga Youth & Family Development and Hamilton County Parks and Rec. Call 855-9444 for more information.
5. Register NOW for the Senior Olympics, June 20-26th. Enjoy Olympic style games for ages 50 and above! This year’s games will be held in Franklin, TN. For more information, Call 643-6055 or visit www.tnseniorolympics.com
6. Interested in FREE Nutritious Food? Chattanooga Youth & Family Development’s Commodity Food Program is open to all eligible persons and offers free nutritious food on a quarterly bases. The program is available for all Hamilton County residents who meet household and income guidelines. Sign up online at chattanoogayouthandfamily.com or call 643-6420
1. Hixson Center(5400 School Drive) is asking Hixson residents to bring or send old photos of the Hixson area to help create a Hixson Mural. The grant funded program, called “A Moment in Time” will features everyday pictures of Hixson old and new. A large mural will be unveiled and displayed in Sept. The goal is 600 pictures. Call Joyce Teal at 490-9289.
2. North Chattanooga YFD Center(406 May Street) now offers FREE Zumba Classes with Trevor. Mondays from 6-7pm. Enjoy Latin dance, and get in shape. All classes are free. For more information, call 618-5096.
1. The City of Chattanooga offers FREE computer based reading programs, proven to help children reach their grade level, at ALL 17 YFD Centers (formerly known as Rec Centers). Open to ALL youth from Pre K-12th. Visit your local center or call 643-6886 for more information on this valuable and proven affective resource.
2. The City of Chattanooga offers FREE Career Preparation Centers at Carver(600 Orchard Knob), South Chattanooga(1151 W. 40th) and John A Patten(Lookout Valley) YFD Centers. Each center will offer jobs list, resume and job search workshops, identify your skills, email and computer help, and more. For more information, please call 643-6084
3. Chattanooga Youth and Family Development is now accepting Child Care and Head Start applications for their FREE and low cost, award winning programs. June 4th from 9am-2pm at Child Care Network in East Ridge, June 6th at Daisy Head Start, June 10th at Chattanooga YFD offices on 12th Street, June 13th at Cedar Hill Head Start, June 18th at Childcare Network on 3rd street, and June 20th at Avondale Head Start. For more information, call 493-9120 or visit chattanoogayouthandfamily.com
4. Eastgate Senior Center will host its annual Memorial Day Covered Dish Celebration, Friday May 23rd from 11:30am-2:30pm. Enjoy dancing, music, and free food! Located inside Eastgate Mall. Just bring a covered dish! Call 855-9444 for more information.
East Hamilton County
1. Tyner YFD(6900 Ty-Hi Drive) Center will host “Money Matters” class for teens and adults looking for financial advice and help with their budget. The FREE class, taught by UTC’s Family and Consumer Science Extension Office. The class will take place Wednesday, May 21st from 1-3pm.